THE KEATING BUILDING, 1890
Fifth and F Street
Mrs. Keating contracted the construction of this Romanesque-style building as a tribute to her late husband, George. Today, the top cornice still bears his name. It houses San Diego’s oldest steam-powered elevator, installed in 1890, which is still in use. The structure was originally heralded as one of the most prestigious office buildings in the city. Legend has it that the gray granite used on the first two floors had been used as ballast on European sailing ships; however, an 1892 article in the San Diego Union refuted the claim.