OLD CITY HALL, 1874
Fifth and G Street
This Florentine Italianate building features ornate 16-foot ceilings and 12-foot windows framed with brick arches, antique columns and a wrought-iron cage elevator. Two floors were added in 1887 to accommodate the first San Diego Public Library. In 1900, the entire city government moved in, with the Police Department on the first floor and the Council Chambers on the fourth. In 1955 stucco was applied to “modernize” the exterior. Years later the building was restored to its original beauty.